Data import & Export - Open Beta (v4.6.0-beta.x)

Admin users should not be exported but users from the U&P plugin should be in the exported data. If you run into any issues let us know and I will make sure it is passed on to the devs.

1 Like

Sounds good, question then.
If i import data. It wipes my previous data. Does it then force you to create a new admin ?
To access the data you had if that makes sense ?

Amazing! Thanks for sharing that!
Quick question… will the data export be agnostic from the Strapi version? Would that work across different Strapi future versions? e.g.: exporting v4 data, import v5 data?
or are the exports dependent from the version they were exported from?

Hi Shaun,
I am getting an error when trying to import data.
see the attached screenshot

Hi @Naazim_Khan Most of the team is off today. I will relay your message to the devs tomorrow. Could you post some of your system details (Strapi version of the import project/OS anything else you think could help).

OS

Strapi version

Hey, good question.

With the default restore import strategy, only the exported data will be wiped before being inserted again.
Since admin users are not exported, they should not be erased in your targeted Strapi instance.

1 Like

Hey & thanks for asking this, our goal was to make the exported data version agnostic (and basically, very generic), so that it can work regardless of the Strapi version, data source, etc…

On top of that, even if something isn’t really compatible data-wise, we have tools allowing us to filter & transform in-transit data (kind of like middleware but for your transfer processes), thus allowing everyone to adapt to their own needs.

We won’t promote those APIs & tools publicly while they’re not stable & ready to be used, but I’m sharing this information to let you know it’ll be possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, thanks for reporting this error.

As I’ve already shared with the team, we need to improve the error handling & output on this feature (and we will). It’s not good enough right now in terms of DX.

I’ve some question to help you debug this one

1. Where did you run your export command? (app dirname + strapi version)
  2. Where did you run your import command? (app dirname + strapi version)
    (If you ran both commands in the same application, just say so)
  3. Could you share with me the content of your metadata.json file in your export_xxxx.tar file?
  4. Did you make changes in your app structure (like modifying the schemas file for example) between the export and the import?

Thanks

Excited to play with it today.:grinning:

Hi all, for anyone interested in some additional information about DEITS in v4.6.0 and the future I constructed a demo repo and some sample videos that show what is coming in v4.6.0 and v4.7.0 (experimental features).

If you have any feedback please feel free to share, thanks!

3 Likes

How do we manage zero/limited down time for content if we’re wiping data before inserting again? Likely not in scope question but it matters operationally. Similarly challenge will present for the Deits approach.

Good step in the right direction. Any plans for APIs equivalent to the CLIs? Appreciate this feature seems to be more backup/restore and devops focused but would be nice to wrap it in some CD tooling and keeps devops off the backend systems.

Deits sounds like it might help there. I’ll comment about desires for that elsewhere: content packages, change control, UX for content managers.

Hi @Raymond_Sellars indeed that is the path we are taking and you are correct, we are starting on the more devops and CI/CD side of things and will progressively move towards adding this capability within the admin. Below is a small sample repo I created after I grilled some of our engineers and product managers on their vision for the future of DEITS and where we would like to go.

As Strapi moves forward we are starting to be more iterative in the way we build things and instead of spending months building out huge monsters of features we are starting to develop a longer term plan for features and then we break that plan into smaller bite sized chunks that are rolled out and released iteratively over time. DEITS was one of the first features we have actually started to put this in practice.

1 Like

Is it possible to use this tool to do an export of an sqlite database (development) and import into postgresql (production) database ?

Please let me know how to do that and if not …that would be feature request.

Hello @Dirk_de_Groot For this use case our team is working on a transfer CLI command. It is in beta right now but will do exactly what you want. Here is the documentation.

1 Like

Wow that’s really useful, i was reading the 4.7 scope but that’s not entirely clear from the scope perhaps an idea to mention that more specifically.

Eventually would be an idea to create a UI for this, i think. For now i will set my production database back to sqlite and wait for the 4.7 implementation.

Thanks for the great work :grinning:

Yes, I think being able to do this in the Admin panel will be developed. We want to get usable features like this out faster and then build upon them. Where did you see something about the 4.7 scope?

that would really up strapi’s overall migration experience