How to create a nested data structure without using components or json type?

System Information
  • Strapi Version: 3.2.5
  • Operating System: Win10
  • Database: MongoDB 4.0.5
  • Node Version: 12.14
  • NPM Version: 6.13.4
  • Yarn Version:

Is it possible in strapi to create a nested database for mongo/mongoose without using components? I feel components are going to slow down the queries unnecessarily because they are stored as ref in the original document. I could use a json field but I will be missing the shape validation from mongoose or strapi itself. Can anyone shed some light on this?

What about relations? By using indexes they are very fast. No issues with performance on my e-commerce app with over 100k products and more than 20 relations.

Also you can use strapi.query() and make your custom requests instead of using the strapi’s default methods for find/findOne.

Thanks, Relations won’t be that good when schema has 5 or more relations, one of the good thing about nosql is the embedding. Even with components it works the same behind the seen. Components are stored in different collection and a ref is stored in original document.
Can you link the documentation of query?

That depends on your needs. Can you explain what app you are building? And what data/nested data you are going to store? Maybe I could help you with some ideas on how to build the architecture if I knew better what you are trying to achieve.