How to deeply populate (sub)components inside dynamic zone

System Information
  • Strapi Version: 4.0.3
  • Operating System: Linux
  • Node Version: v12.22.9

Hi all,

I like strapi very much.
It is highly flexible in using components inside components inside dynamic zones. But fetching this content seems to be hard…

I have a dynamic zone “Content”, that contains a lot of components.
But how can i pull all components with all information out of the api?

My content:

I have read the documentation about the populate parameter, but I need to deeply populate all components in the dynamic zone. Preferable without having to name everything I want inside the populate argument.

Is there a way that I can specify the number of population levels? I’ve read somewhere that this is 2 by default.

Or is there a way that I can pull out (in a separate request) all populated components found in dynamic zone “Content”?

Regards,
Bart.

I am struggling with this as well. Its so frustrating! For me everything is working until you have a component with components and then it doesn’t populate. Have you gotten it to work with nested components yet even if its manually?

I have an open github issue currently Deep Querying components in Dynamic Zone not working correctly · Issue #290 · gatsby-uc/gatsby-source-strapi · GitHub

Nope, still looking for a solution…

Maybe we will have luck with the gatsby conf happening. I am attending if you are not I will feedback here for you If I make any headway :slight_smile:

We don’t use gatsby (yet).
We (webleads) are looking to create a “hybrideCMS” with Strapi and ForkCMS…

this worked for me
?populate=*

It does not work with dynamic zones and (sub)components.

Look at this example:

The compoment “blocks.image-left” looks like this:
Title (Text)
SubTitle (Text)
Body (Rich text)
Image (Media)
Link (Component)
Text (Text)
Hyperlink (Text)
Hint (Text)

In the api result you see that the component “blocks.image-left” only has the id, Title, SubTitle and Body field.

Hey Bart, if you’re still looking for a solution check-out this thread.

Looks like it worked for many people by editing strapi’s controller

Ah, will check that out, thx for pointing me to it :wink:

Same issue here :frowning:

Strapi needs a super simple way to populate everything all the way down multiple levels. May I suggest: populate=everything_dammit__yes_i_accept_the_consequences_of_my_actions

6 Likes

I have a dynamic zone “sections”, i use qs (npm i qs)

const queryPages = qs.stringify(
  {
    populate: {
      sections: {
        populate: "*",
      },
    },
  },
  {
    encodeValuesOnly: true, // prettify URL
  }
);