I'm new to Strapi and trying to get it to production on Render.com

System Information
  • Strapi Version:
  • Operating System:
  • Database:
  • Node Version:
  • NPM Version:
  • Yarn Version:

I have managed to upload the application to Render.com, but I have a problem that I can’t solve. I have Strapi locally where I create the content types, but when I make a new commit Strapi is reset and I lose all the content created.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

1 Like

You probably have to use an upload provider, that stores your files persistent somewhere.
Have a look at the Section Upload in the Strapi Docs.

Thanks for answering

Not only do I lose the images, strapi is completely reset, I have to recreate the account and the content types

I don’t know render.com, but it sounds like your database is not persistent. What is your database client? /config/database.js
If you are using sqlite, the db file is recreated on every deploy. Render.com also offers Postgres database. That’s what you want to use.
Also check out this instruction from render.com: Deploy Strapi | Render · Cloud Hosting for Developers

1 Like

render is fine. I just went through the install process and updated to the latest strapi version afterwards. I uploaded an image before and made an admin account. Both were persisted.

I think the confusion comes from a misunderstanding that I was thinking about in the beginning too: the content of the local development instance database wont be pushed to the server on deploy.
If you think about it makes sense that it is like this. Still a bit weird we need to register an admin account for the local dev instance. Maybe this is what adds to the confusion.
that you have these two things that look and feel so similar, but still are different and non connected.

1 Like