Where do you host Strapi?

I also experienced some crashing on railway but it seems fixed now on my strapi instance which shows good uptime. This may coincide with me adding a credit card, but it doesn’t charge you until you exceed $10 which i haven’t yet.

Assets need to be stored outside of railway, but the default starter has config variables for Cloudinary so that’s the easiest way to go, though I may swap out to supabase storage and db.

Thankfully railway is really versatile this way because each service is modular.

Hi danfascia,

I’am trying to deploy strapi on railway from starters. May I know how you configured env variables? I’m new to strapi. A blog post for reference would be appreciated.

Regards
Shreyash

When you deploy the starter in the railway control panel it gives you a comprehensive wizard style dialog to enter all of your ENV variables.

Some of them you just make up yourself like the keys, others are from integrations such as Cloudinary if you use it.

It’s very easy to get up and running.

The main issue is I can’t get it to run in development mode using ENV variables so once deployed, I change the run command to npm run develop

I’m having the same issue with the standard plus plan (3gb RAM, 1.5 CPU) which means it can’t be a performance issue, can it?

Also Railway. I like it.

I’ve experienced it too. Railway seems to have pretty much a hard time at the moment (might be resolved by the new plans coming end of July). But concerning this particular error, I wander if it does really come from railway and not from strapi itself.

I made this article explaining how to deploy Strapi 4 to Railway: Deploying Strapi 4 to Railway - DEV Community

1 Like

I’m having the same issue with Railway. I also deployed to Render and ran into the issue. Talked with some of the Railway team on discord and they say it’s an issue with Strapi.

Railway’s new price plans are a little bit more expansive but until we know more about Strapi’s own cloud offers I still think it’s a great choice - easy and reliable.

railway still have free plan?
i didn’t see it in pricing page.

As all of you are using Strapi on Railway (like me), is there any way of doing backups apart from the import/export unofficial plugin? Been using it for a year now, but lately it’s giving errors when I get to import on another development Strapi instance, and the bug report hasn’t had any progress in months.