Adding UIDs to a component

System Information
  • Strapi Version: 4.8
  • Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
  • Database: MySQL
  • Node Version:
  • NPM Version:
  • Yarn Version:

In my Strapi Admin Dashboard, I want to add a UID field to every component within a collection type. Collection Types are used for landing pages within my company, meaning our editors can create a collection type (a landing page) and add multiple components to them. I need every component on a landing page to have a unique id for itself. I saw there was a UID field I can add to collection types, however I cannot add them on components in the content type builder. The UID field option simply isn’t there, however I don’t see any other way to accomplish what I am trying to do.

Anyone got an idea how to solve this?

why do they need UUIDs? if you use a dynamic zone you already know the type that plus the id of the component is unique

Lets say you have a base type in a component called - Listable
with fields:
title, subtitle, description, thumbNail
and you want to leverage the UID field to create a slug for everything off of Listable.title
you can’t add the UID to a component - so you’d have to remove title from the base type,
or duplicate title as a field in the collection type you add listable components to.

To basicly get the same feel as a UID you can also just use a text field and set it to unique only issue is you get the error only on save.

Or you can add the UID field trough the file system that should also work

The issue with the first approach is that users of our CMS have to manually assign it and they have to manually copy it over into other components within the same collection type to be able to cross-reference them, which is the reason I want to use UIDs in the first place. What do you mean with the second approach, the file system?