Confused about eCommerce and Strapi

Hi. New user coming to Strapi.

My client wants to use Strapi as their single headless CMS. Including products that they sell.

From my research online, MOST solutions for Gatsby/Next refer to using Shopify as a headless CMS, so the eCommerce system uses that as its engine behind the scenes. Or other 3rd party systems like BigCommerce and others.

BUT, from what I gather, you need to enter product data into Shopify and the others. They become the headless CMS. And so Strapi is not used for managing products.

It means we have two headless CMSs, Shopify (product content) and Strapi (other web content), and then we lose any relational content between products and other non-product aspects. Or is a more complex system than needs to be. It defeats one of the objects of going headless which is to centralise our content database.

I cannot find a way to import Strapi content into Shopify instead of using Shopify to add content.

So could someone explain to me if the above is true, we would need two headless CMSs if we want eCommerce?

Or what is the alternatve so we dont have to use a 3rd party ecommerce system as a 2nd headless CMS, and so how to add eCommerce to our static site with product info fed from Strapi?

We would be open to use a 3rd party eCommerce system, or self hosted open source (not Wordpress) if the product data can sync with our Strapi content and acts as a headless CMS. It would be a middleman headless CMS not used to edit content, and only used for the eCommerce engine. We do need have a basket functionality too, but we dont need to create user accounts, its guest checkout.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

+1 any one there? same issue here

Hi guys, I’d like to choose strap ifor a marketplace ecommerce with around 2k categories (tags & brands) and 100k products, do you think strpai wil lhandle al lthis data? Can yo ushare some strapi uses cases for ecommerce? Thanks.

Hi, of course strapi is good for that. You can see some Strapi User Stories | Trusted by innovative companies , where is Tesco, for example, with rather more products.

While many solutions for Gatsby/Next recommend using platforms like Shopify or BigCommerce as the headless CMS for managing products, Strapi can still play a crucial role in your setup.With Strapi, you can use it as the single headless CMS for managing all other content on your client’s website, such as blog posts, pages, and other non-product-related content. This can help streamline your workflow and keep all content management centralized.If you need further guidance on integrating Strapi with your e-commerce setup, feel free to reach out for assistance. You can also visit acupower.co.uk for more information on how Cloud ERP for retail can help streamline your e-commerce operations.

2 years later here’s my update…

Personally I don’t like renting and like to have control of my systems and data so we dont want to use 3rd party systems like Shopify. We decided to use self hosted Saleor for the eCommerce backend. In fact, we have nothing on Saleor on the front end, it is purely the backend order and payment system. Our front end including the eCommerce aspects is all bespoke in Next.js. We have all product data and images on Strapi, no need to have it in the eCommerce system. The eCommerce system has product name, sku, price and stock, then we just link them to the products in Strapi. Much prefer hosting my own Saleor or other eCommerce system that paying a lot for to have all my data hosted in a system I have no control over.

So thats all working nicely now, 2 years later :grinning: