Error: password authentication failed for user "..."

System Information
  • 3.3:
  • Linux Ubuntu 18.04 server:
  • PostgresSQL (but started as sqlite):
  • 14.x:

Huge problem I’m fighting for 10 hours now.
I’ve followed this guide on how to deploy Strapi on Digital Ocean droplet: DigitalOcean Droplet Deployment | Strapi Documentation

Now everything seems in place but when I type “npm start” into my project from the ssh terminal it says:

opera4u@opera4u-cms:~/opera4u-backend$ npm start

opera-4-u@0.1.0 start /home/opera4u/opera4u-backend
strapi start

[2021-10-07T16:08:49.231Z] debug :no_entry: Server wasn’t able to start properly.
[2021-10-07T16:08:49.232Z] error error: password authentication failed for user “opera4u”
at Parser.parseErrorMessage (/home/opera4u/opera4u-backend/node_modules/pg-protocol/dist/parser.js:287:98)
at Parser.handlePacket (/home/opera4u/opera4u-backend/node_modules/pg-protocol/dist/parser.js:126:29)
at Parser.parse (/home/opera4u/opera4u-backend/node_modules/pg-protocol/dist/parser.js:39:38)
at Socket. (/home/opera4u/opera4u-backend/node_modules/pg-protocol/dist/index.js:11:42)
at Socket.emit (events.js:400:28)
at addChunk (internal/streams/readable.js:293:12)
at readableAddChunk (internal/streams/readable.js:267:9)
at Socket.Readable.push (internal/streams/readable.js:206:10)
at TCP.onStreamRead (internal/stream_base_commons.js:188:23)

I need to point out that I didn’t quite understand what happened with the database. I was using SQLite but the guide said to install pg with “npm install pg” and change the database.js file, then proceed. (of course after this edit it is not working locally either)

I’m wondering if it’s a problem, seen that Digital Ocean server is using postgres

Please help me, I’m in a hurry and I cannot find a solution

2 Likes

Make sure that if you are deploying to Digital Ocean that you have whitelisted the IP (unless it’s running on the same server) for your server.

So try something like pg-admin great tool. To test a connection with your username and password to the database. Most likely it’s a username password issue when trying to connect to the database.

1 Like