Has anyone used planetscale.com?

Has anyone used planetscale.com as MySQL database?

Just tried.
If you have anything that uses components in your models, you will not be able to use PlanetScale for your DB because they donā€™t support FOREIGN KEY constraint (and will not). But strapi generates sql schema that uses foreign key constraints with ON DELETE CASCADE.
So the error will be:
error Error: ER_QUERY_INTERRUPTED: foreign key constraints are not allowed, see Vitess | A database clustering system for horizontal scaling of MySQL

So yeah, PlanetScale sounds like a good managed DB option but no it doesnā€™t work with Strapi. Unless, of course, Strapi drop the use of foreign key constraints.

1 Like

Weā€™ve been using PlanetScale and Strapi for a few months without issue. Just to power an 11ty static site generation, so nothing heavy, but itā€™s been quite nice. Our dev environment is a Github codespace, so PlanetScale as the db made things really easy

We havenā€™t noticed any issues using components in the models, fwiw. I suppose if we run into issues with ER_QUERY_INTERRUPTED weā€™ll know what the issue is now, though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@bflor Interesting! We are giving Strapi a spin for the first time at PlanetScale too. Did you do a custom setup with your own schemas to avoid the foreign keys?

1 Like

We didnā€™t do anything special except use a non-main branch of the db (because Planetscale has branches and you canā€™t do schema modifications on the main branch). And weā€™ve just continued to use that. Itā€™s not for a production site yet, but seems fine at this point. And probably will remain so for our use case (as backing an 11ty-generated site).

The only issue weā€™ve seen, which we thought was ā€œnormalā€ but maybe is related to Planetscale, is if certain fields are renamed (in particular, to the same name but different capitalization), Strapi canā€™t make the schema change it needs to be done manually in the db. Not sure if thatā€™s related to Planetscale, but itā€™s not been a big problem.

1 Like

The Strapi CLI way of creating a new project very quickly hits the error because it tried to make foreign keys in PlanetScale and couldnā€™t. So I am guessing you started out some other way? It did create some of the models though.

My teammate and I at PlanetScale were already talking about the same issue with branching since Strapi was likely going to try to do DDL statements on a production branch, which is not allowed by PlanetScale.

2 Likes

This is interesting topic here :slight_smile:

I wanted to give a PlanetScale a try but I am not willing to switch schema creation to a manual mode. And Strapi closed my request for dropping foreign key constraints saying that many devs asked for this feature so it wonā€™t be dropped.
So yeah, on one side there is this great product that is PlanetScale which I would like to use and on the other hand Strapi, which I have already invested in heavily, that doesnā€™t work with the PlanetScale.
A bit of a bummer.

tbarn do you think there will be any solution any time soon that will allow PlanetScalešŸ’˜ Strapi without too much of a maintenance/manual handling of schema?

1 Like

I am curious why this is something enforced by Strapi development team?
I understand the primary ā€˜concernā€™. Vitess | A database clustering system for horizontal scaling of MySQL

But simply allowing for a --flag setting in install to circumvent this restriction would be more fitting. It really rubs me the wrong way. Our project is married to strapi but I wont ever use strapi again.

Impossible :frowning:

error: alter table admin_permissionsadd constraintadmin_permissions_created_by_id_fk foreign key (created_by_id) references admin_users (id) on delete SET NULL - ER_QUERY_INTERRUPTED: foreign key constraints are not allowed, see https://vitess.io/blog/2021-06-15-online-ddl-why-no-fk/

using develop branch credentials

Hey all,

Yes I did close and lock the issue as itā€™s not something we plan to support but I wanted to pop in here and give a little more reason why we canā€™t just add a flag or configuration option to disable this.

Iā€™m sure as many of you understand, every configuration option we add we need to be able to support it, test it, and when things break we are inevitably responsible to fix it. By disallowing foreign key constraints it means we are saying that we support users running their databases in a slightly dangerous state (Iā€™m sure thatā€™s widely open to interpretation, but not something I wish to debate here). And while for most of the free and open source users much like yourselves this is no problem, there are many things that we state ā€œdo at your own riskā€ when it comes to Strapi itself but all of these options require customization.

The issue happens when you look at our enterprise customers and eventually our cloud, we build Strapi in such a way that many huge companies are using it for mission critical applications and we need to ensure that Strapi it safe, stable, and secure and this requires us to make hard choices on what we can and cannot implement. We as a team made the decision to properly implement foreign key constraints as part of Strapi v4 and this was an engineering decision that we are not currently willing to rollback to support a small niche (there are many other hybrid/horizontally scaling database options such as cockroachDB that a community user is currently working on implementing: https://github.com/strapi/strapi/pull/12346) or much better clustering options such as MariaDBā€™s Galera clusters (which support multi-masters as well!).

At the end of the day your project is yours, the code is yours, and the benefit to Strapi is you can customize it all the way down to the core level using patch-package so if you wish to remove FQs on your own project you have that freedom, if you want to fork Strapiā€™s database package and resolve it differently you have that freedom, or if you wanted to fork Strapi in itā€™s entirety you have that freedom as well.

We have to make decisions for the bulk of our users and there is some cases where we simply have to say ā€œno, we canā€™t do thisā€ for various reasons. In this specific case itā€™s pretty much 90% maintenance overhead that we are simply not willing to take on. Exactly the same reason we donā€™t have Microsoftā€™s SQL Server or OracleDB as database options in Strapi even though Knex supports them.

I can not create foreign key
planetscale damn

People who are finding this thread - planetscale has added foreign key contraints as a beta feature:Announcing foreign key constraints support