How scalable is Strapi?

Hello there :slightly_smiling_face: I’m planning to create an app to manage tasks: creation and completion of them. Tasks can belong to certain venues/locations and those locations can belong to different organizations, and each organization can have as many users as they want to handle the tasks. Each task follows a very standard structure like a title, description, attachments (like a photo), status, assignee, location, etc. And facing users, I’m planning to make a React web app using Strapi’s API.

Do you think Strapi could scale an app like this to, let’s say 500 organizations (considering that each organization could have in average 100 users, 50 locations and 5000 tasks). Do you see that possible? What would be your main concerns?

I would appreciate any hint or feedback regarding this :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks a lot! :heart:

PS: I’m planning to build using Postgres.

This topic has been created from a Discord post (1262849967706476554) to give it more visibility.
It will be on Read-Only mode here.
Join the conversation on Discord

I’m going to talk about my personal experiences with it because you must have already looked up the technical details on the website. I like Strapi because it is intuitive, scalable, and adaptable to any other technology you decide to work with alongside it.

I don’t know the specific answer to your question, but Strapi can be containerized fairly easily. Node in general scales pretty well. GETs are as snappy as you’d expect them to be in any Node framework (it uses Koa). It doesn’t require external chaching mechanisms like memcached or redis, and it pools databse connections nicely. Of course, most of that comes from the underlying tech they build Strapi with.

I think the hardest ops thing you’re going to need to manage is database scaling. Postgres is of course the right pick, but how you scale that is up to you.

This is a nice question.

Recently I launched a project with Strapi + Postgres.

I chose the Postgres because I have a whitelabel structure based on Postgres schemas(In my opinion, a nice way to scale).
And… I don’t know why, all my tables was deleted many times on deploy process. You can do a search on forum or here on discord database, many people had the same problem.

I changed all the project to use Strapi + MySQL cluster. Now, everything is OK.

Assuming you have experience setting up a robust infrastructure to support your Strapi application, I believe everything will go well.
Try to use something like Kubernetes scaling your application on both ways. horizontal and vertical.