How to run existing strapi project?

System Information
  • Strapi Version: 3.1.0-alpha.5
  • Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
  • Database: postgres
  • Node Version: v12.19.0
  • NPM Version: 6.14.8
  • Yarn Version: 1.22.5

How is this possible that there is no guide for beginner to run the exiting or cloned strapi project, can you guys please help me with how I can run the strapi project that I have cloned from the GitHub.

I also need to implement the feature which will enable me to receive the email when the user submits the registration or the contact form on the website. If you know of this could you please give me a hint or material that can be helpful to implement the feature.

As I am totally new for strapi, I really appreciate your help. Thank you so much!

Regards,
Sangram

The process should be similar to running one you have created yourself, clone it locally, run the npm install or yarn to install the node_modules, and run the npm run develop or yarn develop.

This of course also depends on the database settings the user set. Do you have a link to the project you cloned?

This will largely depend on the email provider you are using but there are various methods to do this either using the lifecycle hooks: Strapi’s documentation | Strapi Documentation

Or you can customize the users-permissions plugin: Strapi’s documentation | Strapi Documentation

1 Like

@DMehaffy, Thank you so much for your reply! Apprecitate it!.

I tried to run the project and it worked, but now it is asking for username and password. I am not sure which credentials to user. I tried to navigating to http://localhost:1337/admin/auth/register but it redirects to login page. could you please help me with this how can I login.

Thanks again!

What database is it using? ./config/database.js

1 Like

Hi @DMehaffy

we are using

postgres database

Depending on the version of the Strapi project you can use the password reset CLI: https://strapi.io/documentation/v3.x/cli/CLI.html#strapi-admin-reset-user-password

Or you need to go into the database and delete all the admins from the strapi_administrators table which will allow you to register a new one.

1 Like

Thank you, I will try and let you know

1 Like

Hello, I want to run locally existing strapi project - I’m getting npm ERR! missing script: setup: build when try with npm run develop command.

Tnx!

That sounds like you are trying to load up a very old Strapi project @Dejan_Obradovic. Do you have a link to a GitHub/GitLab/Bitbucket repo with this project?

Hello
For me when I run npm run develop am getting this error: connect ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:3306

Hello

Have you fixed this problem yet? I have the same problem right now
Thanks

For the project to work locally you must first create the database again, with the data from config/server.js

Second you must have the .env file in the root of the project, you can create a new project and then copy it.

I did that and it worked fine.