New developer documentation structure release & Contributions unfreeze

Hi everyone!

Back in December, we shared with you our latest documentation projects, including a migration toward the new documentation repository and a complete rework of the developer documentation structure. Starting these projects also led to temporarily freeze all documentation contributions.

After a couple months of moving files and reorganising content (and let’s be honest also resolving conflicts & fixing broken links), we are thrilled to announce that the Strapi developer documentation is brand new! :tada:

We reorganised the documentation in categories that highlight the main steps of the Strapi user journey, to make it easier to find information. We also built a solid documentation structure that gives us enough space to make the Strapi documentation grow and evolve.

For those of you who are interested in helping us make the Strapi documentation grow, you should be glad to know that the documentation repository is reopened to contributions! We also have updated the CONTRIBUTING.md file and will continue in the following months to focus on clear yet simple processes to ease documentation contributions.

We still have a lot to do on the Strapi documentation (especially content-wise), and we have so many ideas and projects we can’t wait to share with you! For now, we sincerely hope you will appreciate this first big change. As always, your feedback is most welcome! Don’t hesitate to share ideas and opinions in this forum discussion.

Thank you for all the help, reviews and insights we received before and while reworking the documentation. What a wonderful community! :rocket:

TLDR: Community documentation contributions are opened again, and the structure of the developer documentation has been completely reorganised.

:warning: Please note: we are aware of the Google Search Index links heading to 404s. We are working on it.

7 Likes

I’m not entirely sure if it’s just me but the whole documentation right now is just returning a 404.

I’m sorry you are having issues, @mbule. Would you mind describing what happens exactly?
Yesterday the search feature was broken, mostly because rebuilding the index files that Algolia uses for search takes a bit of time. So it returned a 404 when clicking on a search result. But now even the search is working again.

Is there a specific link you can’t access?

A co-worker pointed out that guys also have new links as well, thanks to them I was able to find the new documentation pages.

To point out, this is the link for the installation page that is still available coming from the Docs navigation from Strapi(dot)io’s landing page – https://strapi.io/documentation/developer-docs/latest/getting-started/installation.html

While this is the new and correct installation page link: Installation - Strapi Developer Documentation

I see! Thank you very much for pointing this out. We are working on it, I will keep you posted.

As a temporary workaround, using the Getting Started link and browsing or searching from there probably is the best option.

The links on Strapi.io landing pages are all fixed now, thank you for your patience.

2 Likes

Just wanted to make sure someone knew that all the links from Blog Strapi | Open-source Node.js headless CMS to Strapi docs are broken. Makes it hard to follow the examples in the blog!

Thank you @greenermoose We apologize for this inconvenience and we are working hard to resolve the issue. All 404s from the blog should be fixed pretty soon. In the meantime, if you have some links you would like to visit right now, feel free to ask me and I will happily help you and give you the corresponding link(s).

Thanks @piwi! I’ve been able to find the docs through another link. Just wanted to make sure someone was working on the issue. Strapi is great and the documentation is very good – I hope lots of new developers discover and start using strapi. Hope you’re able to resolve all the broken links soon!

Thank you so much for the kind words @greenermoose, really appreciate! :blush:
The list of broken links and proper redirections is ready, should just be a matter of time for the marketing team to update all of them. I will keep you posted. Thank you again for your patience and understanding! :slight_smile:

Edit: All broken links should be back to normal now :wink: Please feel free to send some feedback if you get any issue :slight_smile: