Strapi v4 beta is live 🥳

Hello everyone!
We’re excited to share the Strapi v4 beta version with you! :man_dancing:

To try it out, run the command line:

npx create-strapi-app@beta beta --quickstart

To share your feedback, please comment this post.
If you notice a bug or an error, please report this issue here.
To learn more about what’s in the v4, please visit this page.

Reminder: the beta version is only for testing and not for production use.

Thank you for being a part of this adventure. Enjoy Strapi! :purple_heart:

20 Likes

This is in relation(sic!) to Save relation items order (Issue #2166) - #43 by flipswitchingmonkey

I have finally built a working workaround for re-ordering relations in Strapi v3 - and now in v4 you not only did not integrate re-ordering, you also removed the re-orderable UI element for Relations?

Any chance you can make this available at least as an option please?

3 Likes

Congrats! :partying_face: :rocket: Is there updated documentation on the new REST/GraphQL APIs and New Plugin API? It is hard to tell if the RFCs linked to from the PRs are the final spec.

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree with @hunter: in order to properly test things, especially custom plugins, controllers … it would be really helpful to have some documentation about the changes (if this is too much to ask, an overview of high-level changes (e.g. content manager not being a plugin anymore) would be helpful too).

Congrats on the beta relase! Looking forward to bring the new UI to our editors.

2 Likes

My team is currently developing an application using Strapi and we’ve been eagerly awaiting some of the features in v4, so today is like Christmas! I’m not sure if this is the right place for it, but I have some questions:

1. Does anyone know if there’s a schedule for when the production version of v4 is expected? I realise that it might be a bit soon to be asking such questions, but our application is expected in a few months and it is reliant on features only available in V4, so it’s important information to know.

2. I noticed a database/migrations folder. Is there any documentation on how this is implemented and can be used?

I noticed that the graphql plugin is still not capable of correctly checking the permissions.
Example:
I have a public single type “Public”, a private collection type “Private” and linked Public to Private via one-to-many. Public is available for unauthenticated users, Private only for authenticated ones. Unfortunately, I am able to request the data from Private via this query without the need to login:

{
  Public {
    data {
      id
      attributes {
        Title
        private_entries {
          data {
            attributes {
              Title
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

I reported this issue months ago, and I’m sad to see that this security hole still hasn’t been worked on.

3 Likes

Hey @hunter (& @gustavpursche),

The (beta) v4 docs will follow shortly.
These following messages from the team explain what you can expect:

Docs won’t be ready for the beta release, but the community will soon get access to a URL for a “beta” version of the documentation, once the content has been approved by devs.
We’ll keep the community posted!

yes, none of the beta docs will be pushed for a while. Though we haven’t announced it completely yet with the v4 stable release we are moving to a new docs URL structure:

For now you can have a preview on the not approved v4 docs, by going to the strapi/documentation repo and checkout any of the dev/v4-* branches. :tada:

3 Likes

Hi @MattieBelt - Great. Thank you.

1 Like

i completely agree with you. as i stated in the thread i would not remove that functionality. How are you now supposed to reorder stuff? so basically if you ever need to reorder relations in v4 you are screwed? ouch, that is a bummer.

But let’s not negativity become to harsh here. i certainly applaud you guys for v4. so take this just as a feedback and keep the good work coming.

1 Like

I’m with @dennishh re security issues with the GraphQL API. My company was just about to try v4 for a big new project, but this is going to stop us in our tracks for sure.

3 Likes

Hi @marc,

Please report any problems or bugs to GitHub, this way it can be picked up by the team effectively.

To share your feedback, please comment this post.
If you notice a bug or an error, please report this issue here .

1 Like

My bad, Thank you !

1 Like

Oh this is great notice

1 Like

This is awesome🔥

1 Like

Thanks for an awesome release team :heart_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Our intention was to never have manually ordered relations but with the v4 and the new population logic you can sort relations using any field (date, whatever).

:hugs: thank you for this <3

1 Like

If you are referring to nested relation permissions, this is something I believe is being worked on during the beta. We just didn’t have time to finish the refactoring on the users-permissions plugin (and the new api token feature) to implement it but I know it is in the plans.

2 Likes

Our intention was to never have manually ordered relations but with the v4 and the new population logic you can sort relations using any field (date, whatever).

Well but in reality one does have to manually order them. Because some orders are contextual, not by field.

To give you an idea: a customer literally rejected Strapi entirely and threatened to pull out, because to them, not being able to manually order e.g. Tags was a showstopper. I managed with the workaround - which now will not work any more in v4 at all?

1 Like

Oh that’s great news. Thanks for letting me know. Do you know if there is a ticket I could follow along with?