Unable to install Strapi v4

[details=“System Information”]

• Strapi Version: 4.latest
  • Operating System: Windows 10 (using localhost)
  • Database: MySQL (10.4.20-MariaDB)
  • Node Version: 14.16.0
  • NPM Version: 6.14.11
  • Yarn Version: 1.22.11
    [/details] I’ve been using Strapi version 3 (3.6.8?) for some months now with no problem - written some Javascript and connected/read/updated the MySQL DB with no problems. I thought I would install the new version to start working with it. It would not install, throwing the error "Installing dependencies: info There appears to be trouble with your network connection. Retrying…". I double-checked, both Apache and MySQL are running and phpAdmin has no trouble connecting with MySQL. To make matters worse, now my old Strap v3.6.8 version will not connect to the DB (localhost refused to connect). I tried stopping/starting Apache and MySQL, have even tried rebooting, but still the same issue persists. I’ve broken something I guess, but I don’t know where to look. Any and all help appreciated.

To install the latest version of Strapi use:

npx create-strapi-app@latest my-project --quickstart

Until the migration guide for Strapi v3 to v4 has been released you should not try to upgrade your current Strapi v3 project just yet. The migration guide will roughly be released at the end of Q1 2022.

As for your current situation, if you have a database backup I would try to put that back and also revert your code to before you tried to update.

Hope you get you project going again!

I wasn’t trying to migrate, just trying to create a new install to test it out.

In any event, I figured it out. My Norton Firewall was interfering with this, somehow. I disabled it and the install went through fine.

This is something that should be noted in the documentation, no?

Thank you for your reply.