Users-permissions queries returning an empty array

I’m trying to get access to the roles of the users in a strapi system but no matter what I try it seems to return an empty array.

At the most basic, I’m sending a request using:

const users = await strapi.entityService.findMany(
  'plugin::users-permissions.user', 
  {
    populate: ["*"]
  }
)

However, this just returns []. I’ve tried with many different iterations of the above and I’ve also tried using db queries, similar to the below:

const usersDB = await strapi.db.query('plugin::users-permissions.user').findMany(
  {
    populate: ["*"]
  }
)

Unfortunately, this also returns an empty array. Is there something I’m missing here?

This topic has been created from a Discord post (1264976718440173706) to give it more visibility.
It will be on Read-Only mode here.