--watch-admin flag for admin panel customization does not work

System Information
  • Strapi Version: 3.6.8 Community Version
  • Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (Running on gitpod)
  • Database: MonogDB Atlas
  • Node Version: 14.17.6
  • NPM Version: 6.14.15

I’m trying to customize my strapi admin frontend. I’m trying to change the logo of my strapi admin. I’ve followed the tutorial on the docs and created an ./admin folder with the correct succeeding folders to replace the logo.

Trying to run strapi with npm strapi develop --watch-admin starts the strapi app but without the changes to the logo.

Even when I make changes to the filesystem, there’s no form of reloading whatsoever (as should be expected from a devserver on watch mode).

I’ve read and re-read the docs and can’t seem to figure out what I might be doing wrong.

1 Like

Try running npm run build and then npm run develop --watch-admin maybe…i was able to run --watch-admin flag once and then it just kept breaking…

1 Like

I figured that the correct command is:

npm run develop -- --watch-admin

note the -- ‘delimeter(sorta)’. It allows you to properly pass the --watch-admin parameter to this npm script.

See: https://www.py4u.net/discuss/274377

I created an issue on github to highlight how this is very easy to skip and should be highlighted in the docs. Here

5 Likes

Facing the same issue here, using npm run develop -- --watch-admin does not work for me neither does
npm run build && npm run develop -- --watch-admin still will get 404 when accessing /admin

I just started getting the same problem too. Are you running on localhost?

I use gitpod and when I open the browser console, I see that strapi is trying to make a connection to localhost//: which doesn’t apply to gitpod as it provides a different address for ‘local’ connections

Not using gitpod using local VSCode but yes same issue.
@DMehaffy sorry for the tag, do you got any issues or any knowledge about this ?
both yarn and npm does not work. Seems it deletes all files and nothing exists ?

This worked for me. Thanks!